ENGLISH-TO-GO Service Internship aims to provide a platform for HKU students to enhance their English language competencies, gain working experience and develop positive working attitude through an 8-week local internship from July to August 2021. In this programme, 8 to 10 HKU students will be recruited and work in pairs as Summer Interns in children & youth centres or campsites of Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong.
Internship Period: 8 weeks (5 July 2021 – 29 August 2021)
(Interns may also need to work on Sunday depending on the arrangement of activities.)
Working Hours: 10:00 – 18:00 / 14:00 – 2200 (Mon-Sat, on shift, 44 hours per week)
Internship Location: Selected interns will be paired up and assigned to work in one of the following service units of Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong:
- Tsuen Wan Centre
- Kornhill Centre
- New Territories Centre
- Wu Kwai Sha Youth Village
Roles and Duties:
- Work with another HKU local/non-local student in pair to design and carry out thematic activities (e.g. Art & Crafts, Science, S.T.E.M., Culture, Wellness) in English for local children and youth from disadvantaged backgrounds. Supervision will be provided.
- Take up any one or more than one of the following roles and duties in the assigned centre/campsite:
- Campsite instructor / assistant;
- Interest class or language class instructor / assistant;
- Summer programme instructor / assistant for children and youth
- Administrative or clerical support
- Work with other staff of the centre/campsite as a team and assist staff in programme delivery.
- Engage in staff meetings and events to experience work life in a social service agency setting.
Interns with satisfactory performance and attendance will receive the following rewards:
- A stipend of HK$16,000 with 100% attendance of all activities;
- A certificate of participation with 80% attendance of all activities;
- CEDARS reward points;
- Eligible to apply for 2-credit for the Credit Award Scheme for Out-of-classroom Learning Experiences with participation of 50 hours or more and submission of an essay with 1000 words.