HKU has revitalized the former Hon Wah College into a new postgraduate residence. The nine-story flat-type residence, most of which features single rooms, houses 126 students. It also features 21 double-bed rooms in some selected flats for postgraduate students bringing their spouses.
The Residence is located in No. 10 Ching Lin Terrace. The area consists of a small number of residential buildings and a Chinese Lo Pan Temple (Grade I Historic Building). The building sits quietly within the context of the site and it is surrounded by To Li Garden, Jade Lotus, Greenview Court and Hee Wong Terrace.
- Living room with TV cabinet, sofa, dining table with chairs
- Pantry with electrical induction hotplate, refrigerator, microwave oven
- IP phone, LED TV, wireless internet connection
- Bathrooms with showers
- Bi-weekly cleaning of common areas (except bedrooms)
- 24-hour security service
- Live-in Honorary Resident Tutors
Other facilities include a multi-purpose hall, reading room and laundry facilities on the ground floor, and a covered landscape area on the mezzanine floor.
The project has been awarded LEED (Silver) and BEAM Plus (Gold) certifications in 2014.
Other green features adopted include:
- Use of non-CFC based refrigerant.
- T5 and LED lighting with lower Lighting Power Density (LPD), energy efficient window and split type A/C and Variable Voltage Variable Frequency (VVVF) drive lifts.
- Use of low flow faucet, showerhead and kitchen faucet to reduce the use of potable water.
- Use of Smart Card Reader System, demonstrating the energy saving strategy by recording and controlling the usage of A/C, lighting system, washer and dryer of each user.
- Recycling bins for metal, plastic, paper, glass and cardboard provided to facilitate recycling.
Source: Estates Office, HKU
What our residents love about Ching Lin Terrace Residence?
“It’s really great to live in a clean and well-decorated apartment in a quiet environment, which provides me a perfect place to read research papers, relax and have a good rest. Our CLT staff and tutors are very friendly, and they are always there to help: facilitating move-in procedures, organizing residence activities, and fast responding to maintenance request, etc. In addition, there is a harmonious and delightful atmosphere in our residence, and I thoroughly enjoy living here.”
YE Sen, Eason (PhD final year, 2017)
“Living in CLT was a very enjoyable experience! The staff and guards were incredibly nice and the house is new, clean and nicely furnished.”
“I wish I can live here in the next semester. This place to so good and fit my lifestyle so well. Thanks a lot.”
“I think Ching Lin Terrace is the best residence out of all the ones offered by CEDARS. It is mainly because it is the newest available and so facilities are new and clean. I like how almost all of the rooms are single rooms and the rooms are very comfortable and bright. The communal areas are great and are very functional. The location is great and very close to everything, but also far enough from the main road so it is very quiet. The housing/office staff are really nice and tried their best to help me whenever I needed it. I stayed here for two semesters for my exchange……I cannot speak enough praise of Ching Lin Terrace and would definitely recommend it to anyone needing accommodation. I will be very sad to move out at the end of this semester…..”
A Group of Exchange Students (2016-2017)