Banner Slide – WoW 2022 Banner Slip – Videos for Weeks of Welcome Banner Slide – Student Visa Services – New Arrangement Banner Slide – Memorable Moments of WOW Events Banner Slide – NLS Orientation Banner Slide – HKU Cheers Banner Slide – WoW Tour Choi Hung Estate Banner Slide – WoW Tour Central

Special Notes to New Non-local Students on COVID-19

  1. If you are studying in Hong Kong as a non-local student belonging to one or more of the following categories, you are strongly advised to read the following information carefully.


  1. If you are an exchange/visiting student who will stay and study in Hong Kong for less than 180 days and is not eligible to apply for a Hong Kong identity card, you may like to note that the COVID-19 Vaccination Programme that is administered by the HKSAR government also extends services to you for as long as you have a valid student visa. Students can register to join the vaccination programme at a post office near you. You can find details at this Government website under the heading of “Non-Hong Kong Residents”.


  1. If you are permitted to stay and study in Hong Kong for more than 180 days and can obtain a Hong Kong identity card from the Hong Kong Immigration with a valid student visa, then you are considered a Hong Kong resident. If you would like to get vaccinated in Hong Kong, you can make an online appointment at this Government website. You may like to note that you should apply for a Hong Kong identity card within 30 days of arrival in Hong Kong. A Hong Kong identity card entitles you to pay a lower fee for health services at government clinics and hospitals. In the case that there is any delay in your obtaining a Hong Kong identity card, please note that you will have to register for the Vaccination Programme as a non-local resident (see Point 2 above).


  1. If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to present a consent form signed by your parents/guardians at the time that you receive vaccination. Otherwise, you will not be permitted to do so. The consent form can be downloaded at the Department of Health. Please note that an electronic signature from your parents/guardians is not acceptable.


  1. To comply with the Vaccine Pass, you will have to follow the guidelines and requirements as stated under “Declaration of Non-local COVID-19 Vaccination or Recovery Record” at this Government website.


  1. You may like to make reference to a full list of acceptable COVID-19 vaccines for fulfilling the COVID-19 control measures on campus.


  1. For those of you who arrived in Hong Kong after 5 May 2022, you may like to note that the Government has made arrangements for all inbound travelers to obtain a “Provisional Vaccine Pass” for use in Hong Kong. You may like to visit this Government website for details.


  1. If you are medically unsuitable to receive COVID-19 vaccination, you must obtain a COVID-19 Vaccination Medical Exemption Certificate issued by a local doctor. These certificates can be printed with encrypted QR code after your Provisional Vaccine Pass expires. These certificates need to be issued either in Chinese or English. Non-local medical certificates cannot be used to obtain the local Vaccine Pass. More details can be found under the FAQS of this Government website.


  1. You are advised to come to Hong Kong earlier to allow sufficient time for the followings: (i) quarantine; (ii) application for a Hong Kong identity card (if applicable); (iii) getting vaccinated (if applicable); (iv) declaration of non-local COVID-19 Vaccination or Recovery Record; (v) joining orientation activities; and (vi) settling into the student halls or a rented flat and opening of bank accounts, etc. You may like to refer to the pre-arrival tips, tips for arrival and settling in on the webpage of Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS).


  1. For your information, you may find the following links useful: (i) LeaveHomeSafe mobile app (How it works and how to download it); (ii) Points to note for inbound travellers (Points to note before arrival, boarding, testing and quarantine arrangements and more); (iii) HKU COVID-Info Hub (a resource repository that provides all updates, information and advice related to the actions that the University is taking against the spread of COVID-19) and HKU COVID-Info Hub – FAQs (All); and (iv) University Health Services (UHS).