First Year Experience – HKU

Student Support and Resources

CEDARS, your student service and resources centre, AND your co-curricular learning hub

The Centre of Development and Resources for Students, or more popularly known as CEDARS, provides comprehensive student services such as housing, financial support, career preparation, professional counselling, as well as a spectrum of co-curricular learning and serving opportunities.


Financial Management and Financial Assistance

Government Financial Assistance

Eligible students who need financial support to their university studies are encouraged to apply for the Tertiary Student Finance Scheme and the Non-means Tested Loan Scheme administered by the Student Finance Office.

Learn more:

University Financial Assistance

University funds, available to local students, are in general used to supplement Government Grants and Loans. Applications are invited in early September each year. Emergency assistance is also available throughout the year.

Learn more:

HKUFresh$3000 is a subsidy (HK$3,000) provided to eligible local full-time undergraduates newly admitted to HKU to cover some of the immediate expenses. Applicants must be in receipt of the HKSAR comprehensive social security assistance prior to their entry into the University.

Learn more:

The First-in-the-Family Education Fund (FIFE Fund) supports full-degree first year local undergraduate students who are the first generation of university students with financial needs.

Learn more:

You will be introduced to all these financial options at CEDARS’ orientation talk “Financing your University Studies”.

Learn more: 

Residential Halls, Residential Colleges and Student Residences

Halls (mainly for undergraduate students) and Residential Colleges (for undergraduate and postgraduate students in UGC-funded programmes)

At HKU, residential education forms part of the proud tradition of the University. They are part of the education system rather than a mere provision of accommodation. As members of halls and colleges have to learn to be independent and interact closely with students of various backgrounds under the same roof, halls are a community of students seeking social and intellectual enrichment.

Undergraduate students can apply to one of the undergraduate Halls and Residential Colleges. Amongst these 17 student residences, two of them are financially and administratively independent.

HKU halls are known for their strong hall spirit. Members identify strongly with their halls. Each hall has its own tradition, culture and unique characteristics. Hall members are expected to participate in various activities.

The four HKU Residential Colleges have 1,800 places for undergraduate and postgraduate students. They have strong representations of local, mainland and overseas students. There is a lot of in-depth cultural exchange. Students have very close engagement with the neighbourhood community.

All Halls and Residential Colleges have common rooms and recreational facilities and quiet study area. Toilet facilities are communal.  Other  accommodation  options include university-administered non-hall housing and off-campus private accommodation.

Please refer to the website of CEDARS-Campus Life Section for applications and other information.

The table lists out the websites of the HKU Undergraduate Halls and Residential Colleges:

Lady Ho Tung Hall 91 Pokfulam Road
Lee Hysan Hall 6 Sassoon Road
Lee Shau Kee Hall 109 Pokfulam Road
Morrison Hall 109 Pokfulam Road
R.C. Lee Hall 6 Sassoon Road
Ricci Hall 93 Pokfulam Road

Simon K.Y. Lee Hall


On Main Campus
(Pokfulam Road)
St. John’s College 82 Pokfulam Road
Starr Hall 91 Pokfulam Road
Suen Chi Sun Hall 109 Pokfulam Road
Swire Hall On Main Campus
(Pokfulam Road)
University Hall 144 Pokfulam Road

Wei Lun Hall


6 Sassoon Road

Residential Colleges:
Shun Hing College
Chi Sun College
Lap-Chee College
New College
9 Lung Wah Street

Postgraduate Student Residences

Postgraduates can apply to the following Halls and Residential Colleges. Application procedure and other details can be found at

The table lists out the websites of the HKU Postgraduate Student Residences:

Graduate House All postgraduates On Main Campus (University Drive)

St. John’s College

(postgraduate wing)

All postgraduates 82 Pokfulam Road
Morrison Hall UGC-funded programmes only 109 Pokfulam Road
Residential Colleges:
Shun Hing College
Chi Sun College
Lap-Chee College
New College
UGC-funded programmes only 9 Lung Wah Street

University-administered Non-hall Housing

Apart from Halls and Residential Colleges, the University also administers a number of flat-type residences for students.

Student Flats (Undergraduate students)

There are 12 Student Flats (72 bedspaces) at 6 Sassoon Road. Each flat accommodates six students and is self-contained with its own air-conditioned living room, bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, washing machine and separate main entrance. It is connected to the HKU Campus Network with data ports for internet access in all rooms.

Pokfield Road Residences (Undergraduate and postgraduate students)

Pokfield Road Residences offer students with flats and shared accommodation. Priority goes to postgraduates. The Residences can accommodate for 290 full-time international undergraduate and postgraduate students in four types of flats. They are within walking distance to the Main Campus.

Ching Lin Terrace Residence (Undergraduate and postgraduate students)

Ching Lin Terrace Residence is a nine-storey flat-type residence, most of which features single rooms, houses 126 students. It also features 21 double-bed rooms in some selected flats for postgraduate students bringing their spouses. It is within walking distance to the Main Campus.


Off-Campus Private Accommodation

University Rented Accommodation

CEDARS has rented a small number of flats off-campus as a convenient option for students who are interested in living in “off-campus” housing owned by private landlords. These university rented flats are well served by a wide range of excellent facilities including shops, banks, restaurants, and they are within walking distance to the campus.

Learn more:

Privately Rented Accommodation

If you do not want to reside in  the  university  administered  student  residences, you can choose to find your own apartment or share a flat with your friends or  other HKU students. Information on vacant flats and rooms can be found in local newspapers, real estate agencies or from the website of CEDARS. CEDARS gathers information on rooms and flats available for renting in the vicinity of the campus. The information is posted on an intranet database ( where all HKU members can get access to easily. CEDARS also compiles a monthly statistical report on rental information. Guidelines on signing a tenancy agreement are listed at

As a general rule, the landlord will request the tenant to pay a two-month rental deposit and demand a contract that will last for a year or more. Places advertised in the newspapers are generally arranged by real estate agencies and they will levy a commission fee.

Bursary Scheme

CEDARS introduces “Bursary Scheme for Outside Accommodation” to non-local undergraduate students to enrich their residential experience at HKU. Students can understand more about and be better integrated into the local community. If a few students come together to rent an apartment, they can also learn to take care of and collaborate with one another. For details, please contact the CEDARS-Campus Life Section (

HKU Home – Housing Enquiry Sessions

If you are interested in renting a flat near the University or finding a classmate to share a flat with you, come and meet our staff at our enquiry sessions. The sessions aim to provide you with private accommodation information, gather students who want to find housemates to rent a flat together and provide information of property agencies near HKU if needed. For enquiry, please contact the CEDARS-Campus Life Section (

Careers and Placement

CEDARS-Careers and Placement Section  is  committed  to  nurturing  students to become global talents possessing professional competencies and entrepreneurial mindset. We serve as a platform with all-round co-curricular programmes and career preparation resources which effectively support and empower you to explore and select suitable career options, acquire essential skills for workplace success, pursue a personally rewarding career and make positive impact to society. We also collaborate closely with employers and community partners and facilitate them to identify and recruit quality students and graduates to create values for their organisations and the community.

Stay tuned to our daily email and website for news, workshops and events.

Learn more:

Counselling and Person Enrichment

CEDARS-Counselling and Person Enrichment Section (CEDARS-CoPE) is committed to empowering students to develop your social capability and emotional resilience, to capitalise on your character strengths, and to live a fulfilling and psychologically healthy life so that you are able to achieve personal success, overcome life challenges and contribute to the community by demonstrating integrity, sensitivity and leadership.

You are welcome to try Psychometer – the online psychological tests on university adjustment, learning, social life, personality strengths, mental health etc. to gain a better self-understanding and identify ways to achieve a fruitful university life. You can also develop your personal profile and use this for setting realistic goals for  your university years and make practical plans for self-improvement. Visit to start your journey of self-understanding.

Learn more:

Language – Social Communication Enhancement

Striking up conversation with a stranger may be difficult. Pair up with your peers to brush up your language skills and enhance your confidence.

“Peer English Tutoring” connects you with a native or near-native English speaking Language Partner to practice conversational English in a stress-free environment. Spoken English is made easy by chatting about food, movies, travel and music.

“Survival Cantonese” provides practice sessions conducted by Peer Tutors to cover essential day-to-day “Survival Cantonese” phrases for non-Cantonese speakers. It   is ideal for newly arrived non-Cantonese speakers.

Learn more:

Support to Student Groups

CEDARS offers support to individual student societies and groups in various ways from time to time. Under the umbrella of Support to Student Groups, for a maximum of three years, supported student groups which are not bona fide student societies of the Students’ Union are able to enjoy services including booking of rooms and facilities; advertising through posting various CEDARS’ publicity channels; advice on financial management/ strategies (not involving any financial transaction); and advice on event management.

Learn more: