First Year Experience – HKU

Crisis and Emergency

HKU provides physical and mental health services and financial assistance to students who are in urgent need:

University Health Service (UHS)
Emergency Medical Services
2/F, Meng Wah Complex
Mon to Fri: 8:40am – 5pm ; Sat: 8:25am – 12:45pm
Emergency no.: 3917 1999
When the clinic is closed, please go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department at Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong.
CEDARS-Counselling and Person Enrichment (CoPE)
Counselling Service
Room 301-323, 3/F, Main Building (Directions: cross the footbridge between Library Extension (LE) 2 and Main Building to reach the office.)
Mon to Thu: 9am – 5:45pm; Fri: 9am – 6pm; Sat: 9am – 1pm
To make an appointment, please call 3917 8388, email or visit Room 301-323, 3/F, Main Building.
During after-office hours, please go to the nearest medical doctor or Accident and Emergency Department at the hospital for immediate support.
CEDARS-Campus Life
University Financial Assistance – Emergency Assistance
3/F, Meng Wah Complex
Call CEDARS at 3917 2305 for an appointment to meet a Student Advising Officer for assessment of your needs.
Estates Office
24-hour Security Control Centre
Room 310, 3/F, Pao Siu Loong Building
Tel: 3917 2882

You may also find the following useful:


Insurance Coverage

The University has a standard insurance coverage for students. Information on  the insurance coverage can be found in the undergraduate and postgraduate handbooks. For details on the insurance coverage, please contact the Finance and Enterprises Office through email at or login to your HKU Portal account to find out more  information about HKU’s Travel  Insurance by following the path: SIS Menu ⇒ Financial Services⇒ FEO Info and Hotlines⇒ Finance and Enterprises Office ⇒ Insurance Information for Students.

Students should note that the University would only provide standard travel insurance coverage, and would not insure any personal cash or property of students in any circumstances. If additional or special insurance cover  is  required, it is entirely up to the student concerned to make personal arrangement at their own expense.


Emergency Assistance When Travel Overseas

HKU has signed an agreement with International SOS (Intl.SOS) to provide general assistance, local information such as nearby clinic/pharmacy, police station, translation services etc. or travel advice to all HKU students. Students are required to use their HKU Portal ID to register for the service with CEDARS before departure. Intl.SOS is NOT an insurance policy.

HKU students doing study abroad programmes that are arranged by the University will be covered by the University’s Group Travel Insurance, which provides basic benefits to the students. For request of urgent/emergency assistance such as the need of advanced cash in case of loss of money, financial/payments guarantee, immediate medical care and/or hospitalisation if bodily injury or sickness, or emergency rescue etc., you should contact the insurer “Zurich” Emergency Assistant Services.

You are still strongly advised to arrange your own travel insurance that better suit your needs.

Learn more: