- 1. FAQ
- 1. What is the selection criteria of the Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme?
Each application will be assessed individually on its merits. Broadly speaking, the Selection Panel will take three key factors into consideration, namely (a) eminence of the programme; (b) competitiveness of the programme; and (c) individual accomplishment.
- 2. I am a HKU research postgraduate (RPG) student and I will present a paper at an overseas conference, can I apply for the Scheme to finance my expenses?
As far as the Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme is concerned, all research postgraduate students are expected to make use of other available university funding to support their participation in academic conferences or other research or academically related activities. Only those RPG students with exceptional achievements (e.g. winner of Best Paper Award, Young Investigator Award in the applied conference) will be considered favorably by the Selection Panel of the Scheme.
- 3. I am an undergraduate student and I will attend an overseas conference, can I apply for funding from the Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme?
Generally speaking, if you are a full-time current student pursuing a UGC funded undergraduate programme at HKU and you will present a poster /abstract /full paper at an overseas conference, your application will be considered favorably by the Selection Panel of the Scheme.
- 4. I will join an overseas service trip, can I apply for financial support from the Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme?
Only those eligible students who have assumed significant leadership role in the concerned service trip will be considered favorably by the Selection Panel of the Scheme.
- 5. Is there a GPA requirement? What is the proof of academic achievement?
The Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme is non-academic merit-based. There is no specific GPA requirement. However, it will be helpful if you would provide documentary proof on your salient academic achievement, which you think is relevant to the applied programme.
- 6. What documents do I need to provide to certify ‘eminence of the programme’?
You can provide background information of the organizer and the applied programme, including their history, professional standing and the composition of the organising committee, selection panel etc.,
- 7. What documents or information do I need to provide to prove ‘competitiveness of the programme’?
Information including selection method, selection criteria, number of applications, number of admitted participants, and profile of admitted participants of the programme will be useful.
- 8. What is the ‘proof of participation’?
Generally speaking, a copy of offer letter of acceptance or a copy of confirmation email from the organizer suffice. Please ensure that the document will show (a) your name, (b) the programme name, (c) the duration of the programme and (d) the organiser’s name.
- 9. What is the ‘evidence in support of the amount requested’?
Normally, you can extract the relevant information such as registration fee and living expenses from the programme website. If not, please retrieve information from the official website of host university /country.
- 10. I will only pay the registration fees if my application for the Scheme is successful, is it possible to receive an early notification of my application result?
No. Since the Scheme is not need-based, all applications will be carefully assessed and discussed by the Selection Panel members in batches on a regular basis. You, therefore, are strongly advised to budget carefully well in advance.
- 11. Can I receive the award before the commencement date of the programme?
No. Since the Chui’s Student Excellence Scheme is not need-based, all awards will only be reimbursed to you upon completion of the programme.